playing at long last with uClibc++

Christian MICHON christian.michon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 11:08:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>> what I usually do is to build both gcc-core and gcc-g++ at the same
>> time (same directory).
>
> There's another way to do it?  (That's what it's doing, following Linux From
> Scratch's advice.)  It works fine as a host build, and it works find
> building "all-gcc" instead of "all" (which builds g++, builds libgcc_eh.a,
> but doesn't build libstdc++ or libsupc++).  Unfortunately, attempting to
> cross compiling libstdc++ makes it freak out, and uClibc++ depends on
> libsupc++ which you don't get if you don't build libstdc++.

I usually do native stuff only. I never figured out how to compile
separately g++/libstdc++.
It's actually gnu recommendation, not LFS. You can and usually are
supposed to do a uberbaum approach.
It's the right native way to link together all the elements of a toolchain.
That's the way I use to avoid the search path inside gcc or a uclibc wrapper.

>> I do also a bootstrap of gcc at the same time. In the end, libstdc++
>> is compiled.
>
> I take it you're building it natively, not cross compiling it for a target?

yes exactly.

> Interesting.  If you notice the error I quoted last time, it was failing to
> find "gcc-core/libstdc++-v3/../gcc/gthr-.h" which is a file that doesn't
> exist.  There's a bunch of gcc/gthr-*.h files, but the * part is getting
> dropped out by the ./configure or make infrastructure.  (Because the gcc
> build is constructed entirely out of nuclear waste.)

broken configure in cross compiling env ?

> This might be easier to beat sense out of if I move to gcc 4.3, but then the
> problem moves to getting arm soft float to work.  (I have notes from Peter
> Mazinger on how to go about it, but it's another big fiddly job.  I dislike
> replacing one big fiddly problem with another big fiddly problem, it's not
> necessarily progress.)

I'm stuck with gcc/g++ 3.4.6 by original choice. I plan to move to
more recent versions soon.

--
Christian