Patch: revert uc_malloc use in des.c

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 8 14:15:46 UTC 2008

On Sunday 08 June 2008 15:35, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
>   - reverting it adds back 70k BSS to libcrypt, but I expect not too many
>     programs link with it, and those that do are likely to need the data
>     anyway.

Actually, there is one program which you use a lot too. It's busybox.

busybox, if compiled with sulogin, passwd and/or login applet,
will require additional 70k of RAM for EVERY applet started
(crond, inetd, httpd, klogd, syslogd, udhcpd, init, to name
a few long-running ones) on NOMMU machine.

klogd and syslogd are even run on blackfin board
in standard image I have here.

> To summarize, as it exists now the code is less robust than it used to
> be (especially on nommu systems).  Are there any objections if I apply
> the patch below (which reverts revision 19342)?

I want to ask you to respond to my reply when you were asking
that question before.
--
vda