[RFC] build system replacement

Bernd Schmidt bernds_cb1 at t-online.de
Sun Jun 1 15:50:41 UTC 2008

Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> I hope i improved the situation a bit now (if you use r22158 and later).
> We honour both all our prerequisites (if your compiler groks what we
> mean to ask for in our gcc-ism) as well as the used CC and flags.
> I consider this fixed, issue closed, nothing to see here, please move on
> (or holler if i broke something) :)

I've done a bit of digging, and found the cause of two problems.

1. So far, only libc-so-y and libc-a-y are tracked.
This needs to be extended to handle all the other libraries, including
ld.so.

2. The CFLAGS passed to the compiler have changed in some cases.
Previously, when compiling ldso/libdl/libdl.c,  $^ used to be
"ldso/libdl/libdl.c"; it is now "ldso/libdl/libdl.c FORCE", which means
that $(CFLAGS-$(notdir $(^D)) no longer does the right thing: $(notdir
$(^D)) is now "libdl .".

There's also $(CFLAGS-$(notdir $<)) in the command line, which doesn't
work for this case, since it expands to "ldso/libdl/"; note the prefix
"ldso/" and the trailing slash.

We could fix this by using $(<D) instead of $(^D) in the above.  Also,
maybe it makes sense to clean up the CFLAGS to always mention the full
path without trailing slash.

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen