RFC: multilib support for uClibc

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Tue Jan 22 15:56:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:37:35PM +0100, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> For the Blackfin, we need to compile several versions of uClibc and
> install them in such a way that the cross compilers will find them.  To
> do this, we've come up with the following patch (combined from multiple
> contributions by Jie Zhang, Mike Frysinger and myself).
>
> Essentially, this adds two additional path components to the install
> directories, $(SUFFIX) and $(MULTILIB), which correspond to gcc's
> "sysroot suffix" and multilib directory.
>
> For historical reasons, this patch adds MULTILIB as a uClibc config
> option, and leaves SUFFIX to be passed as an argument to make.  I can
> either keep this or make both/neither config options.
>
> Any coments on this patch?  Objections?  Would anyone mind testing this
> on a system other than bfin?

FWIW, we've been using a multilibbed uClibc for some time now; I do
not believe we have any local uClibc patches for that purpose.  All
we do is adjust PREFIX when installing.

We don't have any lib/$(MULTILIB) directories; it was much simpler to
put each into its own sysroot and it works nicely at runtime too.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery