dl_iterate_phdr missing in libc

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Jan 12 08:59:08 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Carmelo Amoroso wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Friday 11 January 2008, Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
> >> I'm facing a problem when statically linking an app with
> >> sh4-linux-uclibc-g++
> >> caused by the missing symbol dl_iterate_phdr as below:
> >>
> >> sh4-linux-uclibc-g++ -static main.c
> >> /opt/STM/STLinux-2.3/devkit/sh4_uclibc/lib/gcc/sh4-linux-uclibc/4.2.1/li
> >>bgc c_eh.a(unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.o): In function `_Unwind_Find_FDE':
> >> /home/macaroni/users/products/stm2.3/build/packages/stm-cross-gcc-sh4_uc
> >>lib c/BUILD/gcc-4.2.1/objdir/gcc/../../gcc/unwind-dw2-fde-glibc.c:430:
> >> undefined reference to `dl_iterate_phdr'
> >
> > static is the devil ;)
>
> yes, but it seems a lot of people in embedded world prefer it,
> likely they have concerns on performance.

sounds more like misinformation on their part ... i wonder if they realize
that uClibc by default builds libc.a as PIC ... oh well, retraining customers
is sadly not feasible in today's world it would seem

> > > adding the symbol into the libc too, as it is required by an our
> > > customer on production, but I'd like to have a common fix also for the
> > > trunk.
> >
> > looks like we'll need to relocate it to libc.a from libdl.a
>
> Yes, I don't want to keep it into libdl.a and libc.a, only ld.so and
> libc.a. Anyway the dl_iterate_phdr implementation needs to handle the
> statically linked application too, as glibc actually does. I'll provide a
> patch for review soon.

i thought ours already did ... otherwise, putting it into libdl.a is bad as
it's simply a placebo for people.

> Further, basing on Bernds suggestion, I'm building gcc with a patch to use
> generic unwind-dw2 implementation. Anyway we are discussing what is the
> best solution for us.

that is a short term fix rather than long term i would think
-mike