Prepending underscores to symbol names in dlsym() (commit 20613)

Will Newton will.newton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 15:45:34 UTC 2008

Hi Bernd,

(I hope I got the right email address here)

I noticed commit 20613 prepends an underscore to the symbol name
passed to dlsym() if __UCLIBC_NO_UNDERSCORE__ is not defined. I was
wondering if you could explain the rationale behind this change? I
maintain a uClibc port for a similarly afflicted architecture and I am
not sure whether or not this is the correct thing to do.

For example there is now no way to lookup the symbol "foo" rather than
"_foo" but that might not be seen as a problem. Is there a spec that
requires dlsym() to behave this way?

Thanks,