__uc_malloc

Bernd Schmidt bernds_cb1 at t-online.de
Tue Feb 12 13:17:21 UTC 2008

The __uc_malloc patch was a bit sloppy about the libc_hidden_proto
conventions in uClibc; as a result, more relocations than necessary are
generated for libc.so.  The patch below fixes that.

Before I apply this, I wanted to start a discussion about whether
__uc_malloc is a good idea at all.  Space savings are all well and good,
but these come at a cost in reliability.  A number of libc functions can
now call exit, even though this is not documented and not expected by
any programs that call them.

Personally, I think all the __uc_malloc patches should be reverted.
Comments?

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen