where's the locale data?

poly-p man pyrophobicman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 17:02:56 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 11:40:33 am you wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:21:32AM -0500, poly-p man wrote:
> >so, uclibc-0.9.30 and the snapshot I found in the download dir both have
> > this problem:
>
> The use of pregenerated locale data is not recommended.
>
> Rob promised to look into providing such data, not sure what the
> status is.
>
> >(Makefile.in in the extras/locale directory of the tarball)
> >LOCALE_DATA_FILENAME := uClibc-locale-20081111-$(ARCH_NATIVE_BIT)-$(if
> >$(ARCH_LITTLE_ENDIAN),el,eb).tgz
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >locale_OUT)/$(LOCALE_DATA_FILENAME):
> >ifeq ($(UCLIBC_DOWNLOAD_PREGENERATED_LOCALE_DATA),y)
> >	( cd $(dir $@); $(WGET) http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/$(notdir $@) )
> >endif
> >
> >However, the only locale data in the downloads dir is
> >http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/uClibc-locale-030818.tgz
> >
> >Can someone explain why this is completely wrong?
>
> This old locale data didn't work for (IIRC) mips32(eb) and others.
>
> >Is it correct to simply change LOCALE_DATA_FILENAME to the correct
> > filename (the only locale data filename)?
>
> You could try. If you're lucky then it may work.
> In the end you're imho better off to generate those few locales that you
> really need, i.e. turn off using pregenerated locale data.

thanks for the reply - buildroot's default is to use pregenerated data, and
the config's seem to suggest (some of them, at least) that it's a good idea..

 If you are selective and only want locale data for a few particular     │
  │ locales, you can turn this option off.                                  │
  │                                                                         │
  │ Mere mortals will answer Y and use the default set of pregenerated      │
  │ locale data, which supports 169 UTF-8 locales, and 144 locales for      │
  │ other codesets (for the complete list see extra/locale/LOCALES).        │
  │ Note that these pregenerated locales are sensitive to your              │
  │ target architecture (endianess, bitcount).                              │
  │ Saying N here is recommended.

I figured I was a mere mortal :P

Time to generate some data...