confirmed working NPTL revision?

Carmelo AMOROSO carmelo.amoroso at st.com
Tue Aug 19 11:14:00 UTC 2008

Cristi Magherusan wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 08:34 +0200, Carmelo Amoroso wrote:
>> Cristi Magherusan wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell which revision of the NPTL branch is tested and
>>> confirmed to work well on x86?
>> None, only mips, arm and sh4 have nptl support.
>
> Can we hope for a x86 version in the (near) future?
>
> My application (the kvm userspace tool) needs Thread Local Storage
> support and some other things from the libc. It seems the main uclibc
> branch lacks the TLS stuff and it is present in the NPTL one.

TLS does not imply NTPL. TLS concerns handling of a new kind of
relocation and it should be provided by the dynamic linker, while NPTL
is the Posix implementation on a pthread library rather then using
linuxthreads implementation.
Said that, I don't think addign TLS support for i386 is difficult, but
we need someone having time to spend on it.

> What could be the complexity/difficulty of implementing NPTL support on
> x86?

do you need TLS support or NPTL pthread library too?

> Regards,
> Cristi

Carmelo