system() not working properly after moving to uClibc

mzhang mzhang at aksysnetworks.com
Thu Aug 14 21:26:33 UTC 2008

Hello folks,

We are migrating to Linux-2.6.10+uClibc-0.9.28.1+Busybox-1.2.2.1 on a
mipsel embedded platform from Linux kernel 2.4 + glibc 1.x. Everything
in our application seems working fine except the "system()" call.

Our application is multi-threaded and "the system()" call worked in the
main thread, but after all other threads (around 10) are running, the
"system()" call stopped working and returns "-1".  We tried the simplest
one "system("ls")" and it failed with "-1".

The application has been running on the old system for 4 years and we
never had this problem. So presumably, we think it might have something
to do with the fork() and pthread implementation in the uClibc.

I searched in the mailing list and nothing comes close. So, any help is
appreciated here.

Thanks,

Michael