ld.so GNU hash support

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Oct 4 03:29:50 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 1:13:22 pm Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> [...]

The downside of "I won't do it until I get paid" (or I'm only being paid to do
XXX) is that after they get paid, where's the incentive to do more?

http://uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2005-May/011659.html
http://uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-March/015048.html
http://uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-March/015049.html
http://uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2006-April/015103.html

He spelled it out here:

http://purl.rikers.org/%23uclibc/20060325.html.gz

>   04:16.22  dalias  imo nptl is hopelessly broken
>   04:16.27  sjhill  you are an idiot
>   04:16.42  dalias  um, why do you say that?
>   04:16.54  sjhill  the reason the code is not checked in is because i did
> it under contract
>   04:16.59  sjhill  once i get paid, the code gets released
>   04:17.02  sjhill  which is in two months
>   04:17.12  sjhill  impatient aren't we?

He got paid, he released the code, he moved on to something else he could get
paid for...

> Carmelo, I suggest you ask Mike for commit access and start merging in your
> NTPL stuff into trunk.

Merging is important work.  It would be nice if somebody would do it.  (I'm
not enough of a user of threading to merge it.  I don't have good tests for
all the corner cases, nor do I know what "working well" looks like in this
context.  I used threading extensively under OS/2 and Java, and a little bit
under Python, but simply haven't needed it in a C program on Linux.  None of
the packages I inflict upon embedded systems use threading yet...)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.