FD-PIC patches for uClibc

Bernd Schmidt bernds_cb1 at t-online.de
Thu Nov 29 11:41:07 UTC 2007

Carmelo Amoroso wrote:

> please have a look at the nptl branch where already is the updated _dl_find_hash
> for NPTL using the same extra parameter you need. There is also a wrapper
> around it as suggested by Jocke.
> I think there is a way to use the interface for nptl into your case.
> In these days I'm able to check the code.

The code on the nptl branch looks similar to what I have, but I'm not
too happy about the following:
1. dl_find_hash is a wrapper around dl_lookup_hash, but it always takes
the tls_tpntp argument, whether the target has USE_TLS or not.  It would
make much more sense for TLS- (or FDPIC-)specific code that needs to
have the tpnt returned to call dl_lookup_hash directly, and use the
dl_find_hash interface for old code that can remain unchanged.
2. Having a function's signature depend on an #ifdef is really unclean
in my eyes.  I think it would be better to always have the extra
argument, and ignore it if it is NULL, as in my (well, Alex's) patch.

For now I've modified the patch to make it look similar to the NPTL
version, so I've kept the #ifdef around.  I'd prefer to go back and
eliminate it if I can get consensus.

A new series of patches is attached.  I've already committed number 6
which was just a small correction inside a bfin/ directory.

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen