posix threading plans

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sun May 6 11:20:36 UTC 2007

first, the status of linuxthreads ... when i first introduced the latest
version of linuxthreads, the upstream status was fully maintained and no
plans for this to end ... nptl wasnt even being considered.  the idea was
that the version of linuxthreads we had in our tree was pretty outdated and
lacked fixes and features, so getting up to latest version was a good idea.
all of these factors have changed significantly, so i'd like to simply cut
the charades and do:
 - punt linuxthreads
 - rename linuxthreads.old back to just linuxthreads
any qualms ?  anyone see any value in getting linuxthreads more properly
working ?  only thing i can think of here that would be critical is newer
ports and ports with opposite stack direction (like hppa) ... personally, i'd
like to see linuxthreads go into maintenance only so we can all focus on
NPTL ... but i'm a purely "looking forward" guy ...

the plan for NPTL is to get the extraneous ports and patchsets (like arm and
sh) floating around merged into the uClibc-nptl branch.  then we need to get
some outstanding issues resolved (ive seen replies to sjhill's commits about
problems but no replies from him).  then we can merge to trunk and try for
0.9.30.  i see sjhill heading up most of this ... what do you think steven ?
care to brain dump NPTL status/your thoughts in general/etc... ?
-mike