Using miniconfig with uClibc.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Mar 17 21:24:37 UTC 2007

Ok, the procedure's still fairly ugly but the infrastructure's working.  I've
added miniconfig support to uClibc in Firmware Linux and it'll probably work
upstream too, so here's how.

If you have a miniconfig file, you can produce a full .config from it like so:

  make allnoconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=miniconfigfile

This has no error checking so if it hits an unrecognized symbol it'll print a
warning but won't have a nonzero return code, and if you point it at a file
that doesn't exist it'll just do allnoconfig without warning.  (I have a
patch to fix this, which I need to push upstream.)

If you have a full .config and you want to shrink it down to a miniconfig, use
the attached shell script ala:

  ./miniconfig.sh myconfig

It'll take _forever_ to run (it does give you a progress indicator though:
left is number of lines confirmed as needed right is number of total lines,
when they match it's done) and when it's done it'll have created a file
called mini.conf containing your miniconfig.

Yeah, I need to improve on that a lot.

Editing miniconfigs by hand is expected and encouraged.  Here's some ancient
documentation I wrote up once, along with a somewhat stale patch to improve
the read-side user interface (which applied to the Linux kernel, not uClibc).

http://lwn.net/Articles/161086/

Rob
--
Vista: Windows Millenium Second Edition