Mercurial mirror, FYI.

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Thu Mar 15 17:32:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 12:19 -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 6:23 am, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:

> > > Sorry, I didn't mean that the feature is available (though I think
> > > it's doable by creating custom commit hooks). Only that allowing commits
> > > to the hg repository (by third or second parties) instead of directly to
> > > the subversion repository would only confuse things and wasn't a feature
> > > Rob desired.
> > >
> > > But I'm not authoritative, so what do I know?
> > >
> > OK
> >
> > I use git for u-boot and kernel dev here for 2 resons
> > 1) u-boot and kernel uses git as their native SCM
>
> And ALSA, e2fsprogs, Xen, and even Open Slowaris use hg.  A year ago the dvb

But these are of no use for me as I don't use them.

> developers (who work in hg) were using a seamless git-hg bridge for Linus to
> pull from.  I know because they hit a bug that was apparently a workflow
> issue rather than tools, I never did follow up to see what was going on:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/f88004c360a41ce6/7e7dae0e831d3a88?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3#7e7dae0e831d3a88
>
> Writing an hg-git converter's fairly straightforward because they're both
> fully distributed source control systems that store all the same types of
> data, it's just a question of translating the formats.

So why havn't anyone done that then?

> > 2) git has a builtin bridge(git-svn) that lets you do track an
> > SVN repo, both ways(you can commit you own additions as well as merge
> > new stuff from the SVN repo into your git repo.
>
> I never bothered to look it up for the same reason I wrote a shell script
> (http://busybox.net/~landley/svn2hg.sh) to convert svn to mercurial before
> bothering to learn to configure tailor.  These problems are relatively easy
> for me to solve off the top of my head.  (Hint: svn doesn't understand
> branched history so you have to flatten it: the easy way is create a new
> temporary distributed SCM branch, pull, merge, export a patch, and discard
> the temporary branch.  And if you try to be bidirectional you have to markup
> your squashed commits so you don't run into the problem Linus had above.
> This is not specific to git or mercurial but to bidirectional bridging
> between a distributed and a nondistributed source control system general.)

I don't want to mess with that stuff, I want something that works out of
the box.

I did look at hg, one of the reasons was because you had so much good to
say about it, but as hg lacks the above tools I choose git.

> I chose Mercurial because it's 1/10 the code of git, has a much better on-disk
> format that humans can understand, never needs to be "packed", and is way
> faster (remember how git brought kernel.org to its' knees in January

So run git-gc every now and then to pack it.