snapgear ucfront and uclibc 0.9.28.2 warnings

David McCullough david_mccullough at au.securecomputing.com
Thu Mar 15 00:12:22 UTC 2007

Jivin Rob Landley lays it down ...
> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 11:35 pm, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > Here is a patch. (Against snapgear 3.3.0's ucfront.)
> >
> > ok ?  we dont maintain that stuff at all (snapgear does!)
> >
> > in fact, the wrapper was killed off because it is such a horrible hack ...
> sad
> > to see the uClinux-dist guys going down that dead end path yet again
>
> Actually, I've revived the wrapper and I'm using it in Firmware Linux.  Go to
> http://landley.net/hg/firmware click on "manifest" up at the top, and drill
> down to "sources/toys/gcc-uClibc.c".
> I gave up on gcc's path
> logic: --nostdlib and --nostdinc and calculate 'em yourself.  Only way to go,
> and then you don't need to modify the underlying compiler's source at all.)

I would have to say that ucfront has proven to be anything but a hack.
When you want to use a compiler,  but you don't care for it's libc/it's
kernel headers or anything else it has included,  a wrapper allows you
to do the --nostdlib/--nostdinc thing and use your own.

I think the purpose of the wrapper in this case is quite different to
what the uClibc wrapper did,  and if not,  then fine,  it is working for
our context on many arch's unmodified,  obviously it didn't work in the
uClibc context.

Cheers,
Davidm

--