Installing headers with 0.9.29 spawns gcc errors

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Sun Jun 24 18:34:19 UTC 2007

Hello Rob and all!

On Friday 22 June 2007 07:14, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2007 18:30:26 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > The error occurs when the target architecture is not the same as the
> > build/host one. That is, building a i?86-unknown-linux-uclibc on a
> > i?86-unknown-linux-{gnu,uclibc} might not be affected (although it is
> > still buggy in an other way, imho).
> I've been doing this with my Firmware Linux build thingy for some time, so
> there's obviously more to it than that...

I've been looking quite quickly at your build scripts. Seems you do things
in a different, if not strange, order. But see below...

> > My setup is:
> >  - linux-2.6.21.5's "make ARCH=i586 headers_install"
> >  - uClibc configured for arm
> You install i586 headers and then build an arm uClibc against that?
> How is that supposed to work at _all_?  Your linux/asm directory would be all
> wrong.
> ARCH=i586 plus uClibc's arch of arm: it go boing.
> ARCH=arm and uClibc's arch of arm, that might work.
>
> If that was a typo, then disabling locale support is the only potential point
> of weirdness, except that my config hasn't got locale support in it either.

Bah, yes: typo... I had those two x-compilers running in // and mismatched the
copy-n-paste... Please forgive me...

> The relevant section of my script is:
> setupfor uClibc
> make CROSS= allnoconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG="${WORK}"/miniconfig-uClibc &&
> make CROSS="${ARCH}-" KERNEL_HEADERS="${CROSS}/include" PREFIX="${CROSS}/" \
>         RUNTIME_PREFIX=/ DEVEL_PREFIX=/ all install_runtime install_dev &&
> cd .. &&
> $CLEANUP uClibc*

Ah! You have a x-compiler at that time! How come? How did you manage to get a
x-compiler without installing C library headers first?

> They're not doing it for me now.  I'd like to reproduce the problem before
> endorsing a solution.

Agreed you want to reproduce. But you can't, as you don't use the same, somewhat
traditional sequence as I do :
 - kernel headers
 - binutils
 - C library headers   <-- error happens here: I don't have a x-compiler yet!
 - core compiler
 - C library full
 - final compiler

If you want to have a look at my build procedure, then:
http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/dokuwiki/projects/crosstool

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

PS. I'm a bit exhausted right now after this WE party, but I should be able to
    come back up monday evening (GMT+2).
YEM.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |