optimized static library segfaults

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jun 22 20:54:30 UTC 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007 18:42:16 Rich DAddio wrote:
> Hi,
>   We saw a problem like this in one of our PPC buildroot chains a some
> months back. Do you know what version of uClibc you are using? I seem to
> vaguely recall that we either upgraded our uClibc or used a compatability
> option to get around it.

I saw this on PowerPC a while back, but the problem was that QEMU's
application emulation wasn't setting up the registers the same way the kernel
is.  (QEMU was following the elf spec exactly, and the kernel delegates some
of the elf spec register layout to the library loader.)

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-04/msg00315.html

I haven't seen this problem on x86.  I just tried a statically linked hello
world built from 0.9.29 built with -Os on gcc 4.1.2 and it ran fine.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.