Installed gcc 4.2.1. Discovered that we have 16-byte stack tax^Walignment enforced on us now. :(

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Wed Jul 25 23:36:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 08:00:31PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> And what am I supposed to think about that makes it necessary?

I haven't paid close attention but I seem to recall this being
mentioned several times on the ffmpeg lists (in which the code does
use a lot of sse/mmx).  I think a recent version of gcc _didn't_ do
this alignment for some reason and it broke things badly.

If the C library doesn't require this alignment internally then you
can presumably shut it off for function calls within the library.  But
any possible paths back into the user application (such as qsort() or
bsearch()) may need to maintain the alignment.

                                                  -Dave Dodge