uClibc++ associative_base performance

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed Jul 4 09:13:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:18:58AM +0200, Asier Llano Palacios wrote:
> Licensing
> =========
> The only thing I don't like about uClibc++ is its LGPL license, its
> quite restrictive to me. I work for an enterprise where I develop and
> contribute all the general purpose code (the code that is not specific
> for our application). I consider myself a community contributor. I use
> uClibc++ and I have other application specific libraries (that I don't
> see the point of sharing them, because they are too specific of our
> embedded architecture). Even if I contribute the other libraries I
> wouldn't contribute them under LGPL. While mantaining the source code
> like it is now, I would like to build the uClibc++ and my specific
> libraries in one shared library to make the binary size of the code
> smaller (having only one "general purpose for me" shared library). I've
> tested it and I could gain some binary size by joining both libraries
> compilation. I think that I cannot join LGPL and other binary code in a
> single library.

Section 6 of LGPL 2.1 apply. You can go with subsection a):
Accompany the work with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code for the Library including whatever changes were used in the
work (which must be distributed under Sections 1 and 2 above); and, if
the work is an executable linked with the Library, with the complete
machine-readable "work that uses the Library", as object code and/or
source code, so that the user can modify the Library and then relink to
produce a modified executable containing the modified Library. (It is
understood that the user who changes the contents of definitions files
in the Library will not necessarily be able to recompile the application
to use the modified definitions.)

So you'd have to include the .o or .a needed to create the final shared
library.

Or, as c): Accompany the work with a written offer, valid for at least
three years, to give the same user the materials specified in Subsection
6a, above, for a charge no more than the cost of performing this
distribution.

> Is there any possibility to have a less restrictive
> license (like X11 or BSD)?. I don't want to fork, nor sell uClibc++, I
> only want to have linking flexibility with uClibc++ and some non LGPL
> code.

The FAQ (http://cxx.uclibc.org/faq.html) states:
uClibc++ is released under the GNU LGPL. I am also making it available
with custom licenses for a fee. Contact me for more information. Fees
subject to the project and the phase of the moon.

Note that I'm not the author. The source specifies Garrett A. Kajmowicz.

--
lfr
0/0