mipsel-linux build: not a dynamic executable

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Mon Feb 12 03:46:12 UTC 2007

On Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 08:21:51PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Monday 05 February 2007 12:17 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday 05 February 2007, Doug the RockRat wrote:
> > > libs ldd says are "not a dynamic executable"
> >
> > dont run the host ldd on the cross-compiled files ... it wont work even a
> > little bit
> > -mike
>
> Did anyone ever make any progress on cross-compiling uClibc's ldd?

Umm, cross-compiling uClibc's ldd works just fine and has worked
just fine for years and years.  Now before I go off mentioning
buildroot -- I realize you hate buildroot and refuse to look at
how it does things, etc, etc, etc, so you needn't bother with
your usual reply as about how your stuff is so much better.
Anyway, moving on to the relevant bits.  A quick glance at
buildroot/toolchain/uClibc/uclibc.mk reveals that, no, the utils
are not automatically built when you build uClibc.  It requires a
separate step (i.e. once you have completely built and installed
your shiny new toolchain).  Something along the lines of:

make -C CROSS="$(CROSS)" CC="$(CC)" PREFIX="$(PREFIX)" utils install_utils

and lo and behold, a set of nicely cross compiled apps such as ldd
will magically be installed, compiled with the specified toolchain.

> Or am I doing it wrong?

I think you must be doing it wrong...