futexes, PI and uclibc

Carmelo AMOROSO carmelo.amoroso at st.com
Thu Aug 30 06:37:05 UTC 2007

Nitin Gupta wrote:
>> On Monday 27 August 2007 5:01:13 pm Steven Rostedt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm writing a chapter in the upcoming revision of Building Embedded Linux
>>> Systems. In the chapter I talk about futexes and the new Priority
>>> Inheritance support (robust futexes as well).  This is only supported if
>>> the libc supports it too. So my question is,
>>>
>>> 1) Does uClibc support futexes
>>>
>> The NPTL branch (which is slated to become 0.9.30) does.  0.9.29 doesn't.
>>
>> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/linuxsymposium_procv1-pages-409-420.pdf
>> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/slides/sjh-ols-2006-presentation.odp
>>

> Are you guys planning to merge NPTL branch to release 0.9.30?
Thuis is the plan, according to latest mails exchanged with Steve
> Which
> architectures will be supported?
> I remember seeing support for arm/thumb, ppc, mips in various
> branches/emails.

SH4 for sure... it is already at product level maturity, passing
test-suites and LTP.
It is a part of the STLinux2.2 distribution (www.stlinux.com) (and
forthcoming 2.3 distribution)
and largely used by STMicroelectronics Linux customers. We are planning
to provide
a full Linux distribution based on uClibc-nptl in the near future too.
Our patches have been already sent to Steve for a review/merge work on June.
I'm the responsible for the NPTL port on ST and I'd be happy to provided
some helps for
the merge stuff if required, or discuss about some implementation
choices we did.

Best regards,
Carmelo