Locale support

Ned Ludd solar at gentoo.org
Fri Aug 10 20:57:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 16:32 -0500, Matt Hull wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Rob Landley wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 01 August 2007 12:14:04 am Ned Ludd wrote:
> >> Locales are an incomplete WIP that will probably never be finished.. For
> >> now it's best to simply forget about them..
> >
> > Is there a locale spec anywhere?
> >
> > I really don't know what locales _do_.  They're not something I normally use.
> > (I vaguely understand unicode but have no idea how locale support would work
> > into it.  There's date and time, currency translation, commas and decimal
> > places in numbers, time zones, and all sorts of other weird stuff...)
> >
> > Rob
> > --

> i havent looking to locales yet myself.  there seems to be alot of
> packages that need it so i think its going to have to be fixed sometime.

At Gentoo we make those programs work without the need for locales/nls.
It's nearly never a problem. As many of us who are aware mjn3
probably wont be giving locales attention any time soon. If when they
do get support by someone else I can picture all of the existing code
being tossed out the door.

--
Ned Ludd <solar at gentoo.org>
Gentoo Linux