uClibc 0.9.29-rc1 posted, should be final end of week

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Apr 18 03:54:35 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 9:33 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> after much pushing and proding and looks of disappointments of missed
> deadlines, 0.9.29-rc1 is up

Well, technically 0.9.29_rc1 is up.  Still: Yay!

> idea is to get the main things squashed and tag final end of this week at
> which point we'll branch
>
> then we'll look at the 0.9.29.z series as we get nptl merged into trunk
> -mike

Ok, you tagged 18471 as 0.9.29-rc1.  Since then, some small tweaks have been
made:

vapier moved the web pages out of svn (presumably into its own repository).
vapier reverted the -fsigned-char thing discussed on the list.
vapier did a nommu fix to ldso.
vapier did some whitespace fixes.
vapier did a bugfix to ldconfig.

All good.

What concerns me is the enormous gratuitous change (svn 18480) aldot made that
added a new config option that has _nothing_ to do with the checkin comment,
made huge changes to four different files, and is justified as code
shrinkage, not a fix.  Is that the kind of thing that should go in during a
feature freeze?  (I'm not saying it's a bad patch, I'm saying it seems like a
bad time to check in a largeish change for something learly optional which
isn't something I can glance at and feel comfortable I understand what it
does.)

Rob
--
Penguicon 5.0 Apr 20-22, Linux Expo/SF Convention.  Bruce Schneier, Christine
Peterson, Steve Jackson, Randy Milholland, Elizabeth Bear, Charlie Stross...