Time for 0.9.29-pre1.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Apr 14 20:47:35 UTC 2007

On Saturday 14 April 2007 1:07 pm, Heikki Lindholm wrote:
> Thanks! Encouraged by this, I built a simple rootfs using buildroot with
> same versions of just about everything as your firmware linux. To my
> surprise, LINUXTHREADS_OLD=y did work after I first built the toolchain
> on an x86 linux box - my previous darwin ppc hosted toolchain was then
> hosed, I think, although, uClibc .28.3 worked fine built by it.

I have yet to get ppc to work at all, although I'm poking at it.  My test
environment is qemu and its' ppc support is a bit strange in places, but I've
got some fresh leads and am following them...

> I'd also like to have pthread_rwlock_timed* functions, which only exist with
> UCLIBC_HAS_THREADS=y
> # PTHREADS_DEBUG_SUPPORT is not set
> # LINUXTHREADS_OLD is not set
> config. Building uClibc with that config already gave two errors:
> 1.
> ./libpthread/linuxthreads/sysdeps/i386/i686/../useldt.h:25:20: error:
> sysdep.h: No such file or directory

While this would be nice, I'd like to point out that 0.9.30 is trying to
replace all this code with the NPTL branch.  So getting the old threading
stuff to work better is nice, but not really a high priority for this
release.  Threading's undergoing a major revamp in 0.9.30 and once THIS gets
out, 0.9.30 should NOT TAKE NEARLY AS LONG.

(I need to figure out where Mike lives.  I may _drive_ there to deliver a
cake.  With layers!  Grrr...)

> - commented out #include <sysdep.h>
>
> 2.
> In file included from libpthread/linuxthreads/forward.c:27:
> libpthread/linuxthreads/internals.h: In function 'check_thread_self':
> libpthread/linuxthreads/internals.h:550: error: '__NR_set_thread_area'
> undeclared (first use in this function)
> libpthread/linuxthreads/internals.h:550: error: (Each undeclared
> identifier is reported only once
> libpthread/linuxthreads/internals.h:550: error: for each function it
> appears in.)
> make[2]: *** [libpthread/linuxthreads/forward.oS] Error 1
>
> - added #include <sys/syscall.h>
>
> After a succesful build, however, trying the above hello-thread results
> a segfault. So, should I infer from this that LINUXTHREADS_OLD=y is the
> only valid uClibc .29 thread config?

It's the only one I've ever gotten to work.  I'm pretty happy disabling the
other threading support for this release and pointing people at the big
rewrite in 0.9.30 as where to look for threading improvements.

Rob
--
Penguicon 5.0 Apr 20-22, Linux Expo/SF Convention.  Bruce Schneier, Christine
Peterson, Steve Jackson, Randy Milholland, Elizabeth Bear, Charlie Stross...