uClibc patches for sh-2

Paul Mundt lethal at linux-sh.org
Mon Oct 23 04:09:09 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 03:02:10AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 October 2006 05:13, Paul Mundt wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 03:20:07PM +0100, Mark Shinwell wrote:
> > > You're saying that -msoft-float should be excluded for other SH variants
> > > as well, right?  If so, what should be the correct test here?
> >
> > Yes, we don't have any gcc support for any of the targets. I would simply
> > match ($(TARGET_ARCH),sh) instead. Generally we just don't turn the thing
> > on, so the issue doesn't really pop up for the other targets.
>
> i dont quite follow here ... -msoft-float is only forced when the user tries
> to build for a soft-float target
>
> if gcc/superh doesnt support -msoft-float, why are you trying to build a
> softfloat uClibc ?

I don't remember the rationale at the moment, SH-3 wanted it for some
reason. Presumably it was the same sort of scenario as ARM, using special
tuning at some point and simply dropping it. Anyways, we have FPU
emulation in the kernel these days (where SH-3 is the primary user), so
we don't need it there anymore.

Mark, what did you need the UCLIBC_HAS_SOFT_FLOAT for on SH-2?