bFLT relocation problems when running busybox/uclibc

David McCullough david_mccullough at au.securecomputing.com
Thu Oct 19 23:00:34 UTC 2006

Jivin Rick Garcia lays it down ...

>     I'm attempting to run busybox compiled against uClibc in bFLT format
> - busybox starts up, the kernel does the relocation, but it appears to
> be incomplete.   During debug, I can observe it performing a few hundred
> relocations, but I can identify more than a few places where it's using
> an invalid non-relocated address, and these all seem to be internal
> uClibc symbols.  As far as I can tell, all the busybox symbols are
> correctly relocated.
>     Are there any flags that need to be passed to the uClibc build to
> get it to work with flat binary format?  I'm using the -Wl,-elf2flt when
> building busybox, but I built uClibc without any extra flags - my
> understanding was that they wouldn't be necessary when building a
> library like uClibc - I can't even identify a point in the build where
> they might be used.  Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

It depends on how you have built your uClibc I guess.  Compare the build
lines for each and check for differing "-m..." options.

What kernel/arch/compilers are you using ?
Also it's probably better to ask on the uClinux-dev list :-)

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough,  david_mccullough at securecomputing.com,   Ph:+61 734352815