bFLT relocation problems when running busybox/uclibc

Rick Garcia rick at liveoaklogic.com
Thu Oct 19 18:22:21 UTC 2006

    I'm attempting to run busybox compiled against uClibc in bFLT format
- busybox starts up, the kernel does the relocation, but it appears to
be incomplete.   During debug, I can observe it performing a few hundred
relocations, but I can identify more than a few places where it's using
an invalid non-relocated address, and these all seem to be internal
uClibc symbols.  As far as I can tell, all the busybox symbols are
correctly relocated.
    Are there any flags that need to be passed to the uClibc build to
get it to work with flat binary format?  I'm using the -Wl,-elf2flt when
building busybox, but I built uClibc without any extra flags - my
understanding was that they wouldn't be necessary when building a
library like uClibc - I can't even identify a point in the build where
they might be used.  Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

    - Rick