Buildroot: New feature proposal - initramfs file generation as target filesystem

Friedrich Beckmann friedrich.beckmann at gmx.de
Fri May 26 12:12:04 UTC 2006

Hi,

i just made a build environment for kernel 2.6.12 and buildroot. There I
noticed that root rights are required to mount the generated filesystem
during the kernel build process if I want to have the root filesystem as the
initial ramdisk.

So I uploaded a patch to have a new target "initramfs" which produces
together with the kernel the cpio initial ramdisk filesystem. This can be
done now without root priviliges.

I am not to sure what the procedure is to integrate this in the source tree,
but I thought loading it in the tracking system might be a way to propose it.
The patch is here:

http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=881

Regards

Friedrich