libc contains TEXTREL with -fPIC (using NPTL)

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Thu May 18 14:06:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Carmelo Amoroso wrote:

> On 5/17/06, Peter S. Mazinger <ps.m at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 17 May 2006, Carmelo Amoroso wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > I'm tryng to port the uClibc-nptl branch over sh4 core.
> >
> > that branch is not finished, wait until it has the final version, then you
> > can try to port it sh4
> >
> > Peter
>

> Hi,
> I understood. but the problem I'm having  seems to be not related  to the
> nptl/TLS implementation.

build uClibc-svn by enabling LINUXTHREADS_OLD and see if you have the same
problem

> I don't currently have a uClibc-nptl working environment, simply a
> nptl-uClibc built on sh4.

what is that (nptl-uClibc) ? I have seen only an uClibc-nptl branch

> I'm wondering to understand while the TEXTREL flag is appearing in my
> libc.so.0 even if I'm using -fPIC.
> Could be something related to a wrong cross-compiler configuration?
> or the assumptiom about TEXTREL and -fPIC is wrong when we use TLS variable?

As I said you are not allowed (or if you do, you are on your own) if you
use anything TLS related (new linuxthreads and nptl fall into this
category)

I know of more causes for TEXTREL
1. binutils failing for sh (for ex. it did for arm until 2.16.1)
2. if you removed -z defs (as proposed some time ago and I said that it
is the worth you can do), then because you miss some symbol
3. non-PIC aware asm code in the arch specific parts

Download pax-utils from any gentoo site, and run scanelf -q -t -T
libuClibc-0.9.28.so, that will list you the possible offenders

Peter