error_print_progname removed at r13641, but sometimes required

Rob McMullen rob.mcmullen at gmail.com
Wed May 17 01:26:47 UTC 2006

Working with current svn, and it looks like error_print_progname was
removed in this revision:

> r13641 | psm | 2006-01-27 14:28:18 -0500 (Fri, 27 Jan 2006) | 1 line
>
> Disabled NULL error_print_progname, useless

but despite it being useless, some programs that check for
error_at_line implicitly assume that error_print_progname exists and
then fail on linking.

Just FYI.  GNU Gettext is an example that fails.  (Don't ask: I'm
faking the gettext library with stubs, but need the gettext tools to
create fake message catalogs that I know won't work, but need them to
satisfy Gentoo's ebuild process for Firefox.)

Rob