Primary goals of uClibc

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue May 16 02:55:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:29:28PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 15 May 2006 16:08, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Last I checked uclibc _does_ use the same struct provided by the
> > kernel, but then 'converts' it anyway.. :)
>
> no, uclibc does the samething glibc does
>
> each arch defines the stat structure as the kernel sees it and then converts
> it to the same stat structure for everyone regardless of architecture
>
> thus the only people who care about the kernel craziness is the libc ...
> userland programs use stat() as defined by the libc and everything is peachy

what i said is correct. look at:

libc/sysdeps/linux/common/bits/stat.h
libc/sysdeps/linux/i386/bits/kernel_stat.h

the stat64 and kernel_stat64 structs are identical in the binary
image. yes there is legacy non-largefile-supporting stat mess too, but
there's absolutely no reason to support that. it's just extra bloat in
uclibc. it could be removed and then the xstatconv code could be
removed too.

rich