Retiring from uClibc development

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 11:43:09 UTC 2006

First, a big thank you for making uClibc and for making it available to
the public. Its awesome!

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:54:24 +0200, Manuel Novoa III <mjn3 at codepoet.org>
wrote:

> On the other hand, if you've got a bug report not specific to your
> branch, tell me and I'll fix it in my tree.
> But I'm generally not going to make fixes available to our competitors
> before we actually roll them out ourselves.

So, there are contributors, "competitors", that fix things and send them
to you, motivated by the thought that as many as possible should benefit
 from it. You grab those fixes put them in your own private space, keep
them there so no other can (easily) benefit from them until you do
yourself?

So while those (unpayed) contributors do what they can to help others
benefit from their work (by submitting fixes upstream instead of running
their own branches, fork or whatever), you do what you can to prevent, or
delay, others to benefit from it.

I can understand that some people have their business to take care of, but
to me it seems like those "competitors" tries to help you, not fight you.
I can understand that people get frustrated.

I'm not blaming anyone or trying to point out who is doing what wrong -
thats not interesting. I'm interested in the good things that you actually
do (i.e. uclibc)

I wonder what the possible alternatives are for a solution? I would love
to se PSM continue developing uclibc, since I believe thats something
everybody benefits from (sooner or later). There are people that
appreciate your work, Peter. Thanks!

And I would love to see uclibc development move forward without being held
back of buildroot or any other specific build environment or distro,
without being held back for any specific company to release any product
(which higly depends on market timing etc etc) and without being held back
by any personal conflicts - but thats probably unrealistic.

Thats my $0.02 from an end user perspective.

PS. I'm not doing much myself to directly contribute to uclibc. I test and
report bugs to people who have enough knowledge to fix or submit proper
bugrports upstream. I do what I can. I dont have to clean up after others
while having a contractor on my neck, so those things are easy for me to
say.

--
Natanael Copa