Retiring from uClibc development

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Thu Mar 30 08:30:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Manuel Novoa III wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Not sure what you mean by "my area" or "conflicting files".  Regarding
> the latter, if you're talking about those locale defines you emailed
> me about a while ago, I don't care.  I'm not currently using locales and
> really don't plan to support the current code unless contracted to.
>
> In fact, I might not even take a contract to support it if someone offered
> one because I consider supporting something that needs extensive rewriting
> to be counterproductive.  I would however take a contract to do the
> necessary reimplementation.  If I wind up doing it outside of a contract,
> I'd likely make it a seperate GPL'd lib with a provision to relicense
> as LGPL.  At least that way, companies using uClibc might have more of a
> reason to contribute something back in the way of support.

If you consider locales defective/not working correctly, removing support
for them would get rid of much of (at least for me, "untouchable") code.

How do you feel then about internals changing to use UTF8 exclusively,
getting rid of the TABLES*/CTYPE*/WCHAR and such config options?

> > don't want to touch them w/o first asking, but you do not answer. What is
>
> If you're asking about anything related to newer toolchains I'm not using,
> issues resulting from your hidden symbol support changes, or from the IMA
> compilation stuff, the general answer is "I'm not  currently using that it."

see for ex. buildroot/toolchain/gcc/4.2.0/203*, that is wide character
related as well, not only locales and is related to all gcc versions used
(the oldest checked is 3.3.5, probably all 3.3.x)

> > the correct approach then? Should I change everything what I find as
> > incorrect w/o asking, so you kill me?
>
> On the other hand, if you've got a bug report not specific to your branch,
> tell me and I'll fix it in my tree.  I already have several fixes there for
> problems that you and vapier have reported to me.  When we (i.e. my employer)

good to know that sometime a fix will come out ;-(

> release something using the updated version, I'll make thoses fixes available.
> But I'm generally not going to make fixes available to our competitors before
> we actually roll them out ourselves.
>
> Manuel

I don't have such limitations, I am/was not payed for any of my uClibc
work.

Peter