Long release cycle (was: RE: uclibc tool chain installation problem)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Mar 26 22:10:05 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 4:27 pm, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> b. get getopt-susv3 + getopt_long-simple work as replacement of gnu getopt
> (so that bb at least is usable w/ it), maybe support for reordering the
> options is needed as well

Random in-passing comment about this:

At some point in the future I'd like to take a stab at untangling
bb_getopt_ulflags().  Part of what I have slated for this is figuring out
what we actually _need_ out of getopt, and whether it's just easier to do it
ourselves (considering we do extensive preprocessing of the option string
already, and that the long option structure could be shrunk.)

However, I'm also trying very hard not to take on any new projects until I
finish the 2/3 done passwd upgrade, get bbsh capable of replacing lash
without being any bigger (this remains hard), make standalone in, the new rpm
code checked in, the portability work (platform.h and friends) farther along,
a new tiny fdisk done, _something_ done about the steaming heap of e2fsprogs
in the tree, upgrade the menuconfig and miniconfig stuff, figure out whether
or not I want to follow up on my dependency checker...

Sigh.  I currently get to spend about 15 hours/week on busybox.  I need about
60, maybe 80...

Rob