Long release cycle (was: RE: uclibc tool chain installation problem)

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Wed Mar 22 21:43:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Khem Raj wrote:
>
> > Mike Frysinger said the following on 03/21/2006 04:29 PM:

> > > ive kept the TODO list pretty up to date ... the current list in there for the
> > > 0.9.29 release is enough for me ... if there's something people would like to
> > > see, i'd mention it now ...
> > >
> > getopt for ARM port was not working after feb 14th snapshot. I did not
> > verify it since then the problem
> > was due to opt* symbols being hidden in libc. I discussed it briefly
> > with Peter then. It would be worth
> > trying out to boot an arm systerm.
>
> Those failures (and the ones w/ environ) were not reproducable natively on
> x86, but I have removed since then hidden_data_def() around all
> non-constant global data.
>
> Another report said that strong_alias w/ global_data does not work at all
> (error/environ), could you test this w/ current svn in your env?
>
> I am thinking of following additions:
> a. full gnu glob (that passes all tests, but is very big) or alternatively
> modify glob-susv3 (already in tree) to support the gnu options as well
> b. fnmatch-susv3 (from Rich Felker), passes all fnmatch tests that are not
> related to collation unlike the current ones (old and new)
> c. stripped/adapted TRE regex (this will become in the near future LGPL
> licensed and passes more tests of the AT&T testregex then the current
> ones)
> d. alternate getopt-susv3 (from Rich Felker) that supports multibyte
> characters
>
> Corrections that should be done:
> a. if NPTL is added to this release, then get new linuxthreads working as
> well, else disable new linuxthreads in release
> b. get getopt-susv3 + getopt_long-simple work as replacement of gnu getopt
> (so that bb at least is usable w/ it), maybe support for reordering the
> options is needed as well

I have forgotten to mention the most importants before releasing .29:
1. all gcc versions have to be updated using at least the 203* patch from
gcc-4.2.0, else libstdc++ can't be built w/ current svn (it does not break
.28 builds) if XLOCALE is enabled (maybe LOCALE as well, haven't tried)
2. all gcc4 need a correction (maybe 204* from 4.2.0), else libstdc++ will
fail again if XLOCALE is enabled

Peter