Buildroot :: Problem in Installing Grub for i386

Bernhard Fischer rep.nop at aon.at
Sat Mar 18 14:47:59 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 07:43:17PM +0530, conn itnel wrote:
>Hello friends,
>

>   I am using Buildroot and have enable the Grub package in "make menuconfig
>". And then "Make" which works out smoothly. But in the build_1386/root/
>directory. i didnot find any grub utilities.
>
>But there is grub directory in buildroot/build_i386/grub-0.97/ . So Now to
>install grub in root/ what steps I need to follow ?
>
>Thank You in Advance.

As already stated in IRC, cp
stage{1/stage1,2/{stage2,e2fs_stage1_5}} grub/grub to/your/rootfs,
then either cd or chroot into your rootfs
and install grub onto your block-device. This last step is widely
documented (see README and INSTALL as well as docs/* in your
grub-sourcedir or look it up on the web).

That said, you do something like
grub
device /dev/loop0 (hd0) # optional!
root (hd0,0) # or wherever your boot/grub resides
setup (hd0)
quit

or variations thereof.