Mirror problem

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Mar 2 02:57:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 19:39 -0600, Michael Miller wrote:
> Hmm, right you are.  The snapshots have the fix but the release does not.
> Given that the release is over a year old, maybe it's time for a new
> release.  Maybe after the BusyBox 1.1.1 release.

Not that I'm authorative on this, but every time this comes up they
inform the questioner that they won't be doing releases. It makes sense
as to why they don't. On the other hand it would be nice to have a
stable working copy.

I've actually been wondering about the whole thing and think instead of
releasing buildroot, there should simply be a way to create stable
configs. So combination of packages & their versions which work
together. So creating something that will allow people to contribute
a .config that builds X,Y & Z and is known to work. I think there are
really only two things that need to happen to buildroot to make it
possible.

1) Patch buildroot to be able to specify particular configs. This is
somewhat possible with how make works, but making it more integrated
perhaps by creating a config directory for storing them, and adding the
ability to browse the configs to choose which one to use straight from
make menuconfig.

2) Modify packages .mk / conf files to be able to specify the exact
version instead of hardcoding them in the makefiles. Thus allowing the
building of arbitrary package version combinations.

Are there any huge problems with the above that I don't see?

--
Nathanael D. Noblet