linux-2.6.12 kernel build with uClibc

Tom Kirkpatrick tom at kirkdesigns.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 14:04:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to cross compile a a linux kernel for an embedded system
which has been built with buildroot.

My setup is as follows:

  * buildroot (latest svn)
  * GCC 4.2 (2006-03-04 snapshot)
  * uClibc (2006-06-01 snapshot)
  * Binutils 2.16.1

I'm running make with "ARCH=i386 CROSS_COMPILE=i686-linux-" and I
have the build_i686/staging_dir/bin set as the first thing in my PATH
and I'm getting the following error:

include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for
field of type 'unsigned char[5u]'
   CC      net/ipv4/tcp.o
In file included from include/asm/mpspec.h:6,
                  from include/asm/smp.h:19,
                  from include/linux/smp.h:20,
                  from include/linux/sched.h:27,
                  from include/linux/module.h:11,
                  from net/ipv4/tcp.c:252:
include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: 'packed' attribute ignored for
field of type 'unsigned char[5u]'
net/ipv4/tcp.c: In function 'tcp_disconnect':
include/asm/bitops.h:61: error: inconsistent operand constraints in
an 'asm'
make[2]: *** [net/ipv4/tcp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [net/ipv4] Error 2
make: *** [net] Error 2

I also seem to get "include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: 'packed'
attribute ignored for field of type 'unsigned char[5u]'" for every
single step of the make process. I know this in itself is probably
nothing to worry about, but perhaps it's related to the final error
I'm seeing.

has anyone seen this before?
or can anyone make any suggestions as to what I can do to try and fix
it?