Questions while creating a changelog...

Sterling Augustine sterling at tensilica.com
Mon Jul 24 16:07:59 UTC 2006

Rob Landley wrote:
> So I'm working on a 0.9.27->0.9.28 changelog (well there isn't one) and I'm
> positively boggling at this entry:
>
> 9769: Use $(LN) rather than ln.
>
> Is there a remotely posix environment anywhere, where ln goes by a different
> name?  What is this for?

One special case that I'm aware of:

If you have a file to be used by native windows, but you compile or
install it under cygwin, then you want to use cp for installation
instead of ln.

Just theoretically, say you ported uclibc to work with a compiler that
runs as a native windows process, but the uclibc build was too difficult
to get working outside of cygwin. Then installing the headers with ln
would make them invisible to the compiler, and you would want to use cp.

Just theoretically, you understand.....

Plus I think some people like the symmetry of having ever tool
overridable with make variables.