[gmail] Re: Altera Nios2 troubles

Cristiano Ghirardi cristiano.ghirardi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 09:47:43 UTC 2006

Hi Marc,
after a pretty long time we are working again to get Nios2 working. To tell
the truth we have to start now a quit big
project (develop a custom board for a measure machine and the system and
application software for it).
We have a pretty good  knowledge  of Altera software and hardware and we
have used uClinux for past projects
with ColdFire and i386. So we seemed quite natural to use Altera Nios2
soft-processor with uClinux. Now we are quite
worried about this solution: the problem seems the Altera attitude vs the
uClinux community. Better: we can't understand
if none is using uClinux on Nios2 because the Altera attitude or because
none thinks that is a good solution and so the Altera
is not supporting it.
Now we have the impression that if we start a project we have to develop it
(also the O.S.) without any help and for us
is a big risk. Do you have had the same impression?
Thanks

On 7/17/06, Marc Leeman <marc.leeman at gmail.com> wrote:

> > no one here really has Nios2 nor cares about it ... Altera is handling
> the
> > port like a bunch of morons, so if you want this stuff to be fixed,
> you'll
> > probably have to post the patch yourself
>
> Euhm, your assesment is pretty accurate :) It took me fairly little
> effort to clean up the mess fo their source releases and to create a
> cleaner way to build a uclibc gcc toolchain last year.
>
> After we cleaned it up, posted patches and informed Altera, noone really
> cared, next to a couple enthousiasts on niosforum.
>
> Microtronix, the guys doing the porting on behalf of Altera; basically
> does not care unless you are using Windows. They claim to have a linux
> toolchain internally but don't release it in binary form, which is not
> that bad, since the community toolchain is cleaner and better :X
>
> --
>   greetz, marc
> Burnt, battered, busted, ding-dong the pod is dead.
>         Crichton - Eat Me
> scorpius.homelinux.org 2.6.17 #2 PREEMPT Thu Jun 22 07:18:33 CEST 2006
> GNU/Linux

-- Cristiano