Upcoming support for Cris V32 architecture

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Wed Jan 25 10:41:53 UTC 2006

> I'm planning to introduce support for the newest family of the Cris
> architecture (dubbed Crisv32, used in the Etrax FS chip) into
> the official
> uClibc release. We already have a working in-house port, but
> it is based
> on the uClibc 0.9.27 release, and needs a bit of work in
> order to bring it
> into line with subsequent developments of uClibc. This also includes
> testing that the existing Cris arch works properly with uClibc; after
> browsing the subervsion tree I suspect that code changes have
> introduced
> issues that need testing and working out.

Yes, CRIS has been broken for quite a while.

> I won't have the opportunity to get started on this for a
> while (like, a
> couple of months). I was wondering if there are any
> indications for when
> the next uClibc release (0.9.29 ?) will be?

I think that next relese will be when NPTL is finished, don't know
when that will be. Probably a few months.

> My plan is to start by synchronizing our existing Crisv32
> efforts with the
> latest official uClibc release, and then move on from there, so that
> Crisv32 support can be included in the next official uClibc
> release, with
> any luck. That way I can run tests for stability based on the latest
> official release before going on to the bleeding edge.

I think you should base any work on current SVN. CRIS badly needs a new maintainer as the old
ones has stopped working on uClibc it seems. Ask Erik for commit access for SVN and start with
getting the current CRIS cpu supported. I think that will be a fairly easy task, mostly
updating crt1.S to the new ABI and fix ldso to match(the asm code in dl-startup.h). The new ABI
follows glibc very closely so you should be able to copy code from there and tweak it to map
into uClibc.