buildroot kernel

Mathieu Deschamps mathieu.deschamps at com2gether.net
Mon Feb 27 14:08:38 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 February 2006 13:05, Ganskow wrote:
> hello,
>
> i tried to build my system with buildroot and it worked perfect until the
> point I asked myself where do I get the kernel from? Is the kernelbuilding
> a separate process or somewhat integrated in buildroot?? I tried to use a
> separat kernel, but got an error warning after starting: : "warning :
> unable to open an initial console".
>
> Can anybody help me? It would help me already to understand where and when
> the kernelbuildprocess has to be integrated in the whole buildroot process?
>
> Tks in advance
>
> Stefan
> ---

Hello Stefan,

> Is the kernelbuilding
> a separate process or somewhat integrated in buildroot?

Both, at your will. It's better to have your kernel built seperately.

>I tried to use a
> separat kernel, but got an error warning after starting: : "warning :
		^^^^^^
There's nothing to oppose, theses are two things, decorellate it.

> unable to open an initial console".

This usually means your init process (pid 0) can't execute properly
/sbin/init or /dev/console isn't accessible and most rather you bady
passed "root=" option.

Follow these, (solution_t *) ptr = {
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html#AEN1131				,
http://www.linuxdig.com/howto/ldp/Linux-i386-Boot-Code-HOWTO.php			,
http://www.linuxarkivet.se/howto/MIPS-HOWTO/x437.html					,
NULL
}

Best regards,

Mathieu Deschamps
Com2gether Design Center
Electronic and Embedded Engineering Services
www.com2gether.net