RUNPATH and $ORIGIN

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Thu Feb 23 15:48:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have built galeon having as RUNPATH [/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox].
> It tries to load libxpcom.so (in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox), but
> libxpcom.so has RUNPATH as [$ORIGIN:/usr/lib/nspr]. The result is that
> galeon can't load libxpcom.so
>
> ld.so does not currently support $ORIGIN, but it fails it seems on the
> $ORIGIN:<somepath> as well.
>
> Peter

to be more precise: ld.so (LD_DEBUG=1) first finds libxpcom.so, but when
it reads libxpcom.so's RUNPATH, it tries to search in that RUNPATH (namely
$ORIGIN:/usr/lib/nspr again to load it and fails.

I think that RUNPATH should be ignored on itself. $ORIGIN should probably
be treated as CWD (would be good to interpret it as an absolute path
beginning with /

Peter