uClibc toolchain

Andrea Paterniani a.paterniani at swapp-eng.it
Wed Feb 22 16:09:39 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I'm starting developing on Compulab CM-X255 (PXA255 based) and I'm nearly a
dummy to linux world.
With the devboard is shipped a linux Debian distro too big for my needs. I
want to build a minimal linux system (about 32 Mb of flash and 16 Mb of
ram). Compulab supports drivers for kernel 2.6.12.2 (or 2.6.7) and suggests
scratchbox as toolchain.

I'have 2 possibilities:
1. To scale down the actual distro (about ~90 Mb), but they told me that
it's difficult to fit on less than 16 Mb.
2. To build my own distro using uClib and BusyBox.

At the moment I prefer the second solution but I want to mantain kernel
2.6.12.2 (or 2.6.7) since Compulab supports flash driver for these 2
releases.

Questions:
>> Is it possible build a uClib based toolchain via Buildroot for kernel
2.6.12.2 o 2.6.7?
>> If not, any suggestion?

Regards,
Andrea