ARM EABI and definition of _dl_mmap

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 21 14:20:41 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 04:15, Nicolas Bellido wrote:
> Before submitting a patch, I would like to understand the rationale behind
> 'use mmap first before trying to use mmap2' ? Is this something required by
> some other architectures ?

the rationale is 'use a straight mmap syscall before anything else because
it's the smallest code size'

should be trivial to change the logic to try and do:
 - mmap 6 arg syscall
 - mmap2 syscall
 - mmap 1 arg syscall
so if you want to submit a patch to do this, i'd prob merge it ...

> Also, because of the #if 0 ... #endif surrounding the definition of
> _dl_mmap_check_error in ldso/include/dl-syscall.h, if an architecture does
> not provide the mmap syscall, _dl_mmap would not compile because it uses
> MAP_FAILED, and not _dl_MAX_ERRNO.

but this hasnt come up before as everyone provides mmap at this time ...
-mike