Ordering dependency between string.h and strings.h.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Dec 23 20:40:40 UTC 2006

On Saturday 23 December 2006 12:17 pm, Rich Felker wrote:
> Standards bodies are there to document what's common to all systems,
> not your two [or whatever number of] pet systems.

My "pet system" is Linux.  I don't care about SunOS, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX,
Irix, Ultrix, Tru64, or Cygwin, and only barely care about MacOS X.  (I've
heard a rumor that Apple's coming out with a MacOS X embedded.  I don't care
about that either.)

Linux has had this for 15 years.

> As far as I know
> there were two sets of functions for the same thing, present on
> different systems, and the reasonably named one was chosen as the
> standard one.

The reasonably named ones are index() and rindex().  Note the existence of
string.index() and string.rindex() in python:

http://docs.python.org/lib/string-methods.html

> Specifying many names for the same thing is not the job
> of a standard; it's the job of abominations like perl.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/unlink.html
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/rm.html
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/rmdir.html

I really have no interest in arguing with you about this any more, because I
honestly don't care what you think.

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery