static linked uclibc

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Aug 22 04:08:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 10:47:33AM +0800, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> > Actually a 16-bit 3000 MHz (or whatever) machine. :)
> > Despite the crappy 16-bit mode, the machine does run at full clock
> > speed from startup.
>
> I wonder why its still so slow. Maybe its the shuffling things around
> in 1 meg of memory.

I think it's intentional idle loops to "make it look like it's doing
useful tests" and give illiterate users time to read the messages (or
stare at the vendor's logo), and delays waiting for slow hardware
components to complete their reset cycles, etc.

> Well imagine an editor window where you have all your files in a
> linear scrolling arrangement. I simulate this by putting all my text
> files in one file. Maybe emacs can be hacked up so it handles the file
> naming and display multiple documents in a unified linear scrolling
> view.

Sounds odd and difficult to use, but oh well... Whatever floats your
boat.

> > > suspend is a good remedy. but im an environmentalist. so uhhhh....
> >
> > Well, even a fully-powered idle machine uses much less energy than a
> > refridgerator, and a machine in suspend only uses a tiny fraction of
> > that (or none at all with suspend-to-disk).
>
> If you consider all the computers in sleep mode in the whole US thats
> a lot of power. I think somebody said that you can shut down a few
> power plants if people pulled the plugs instead.

Whoever said that is horribly mistaken. If that were true, then there
would be millions of power plants in the USA, since the energy usage
by a standard lineup of household appliances (which people are too
stupid to turn off) is easily a million times as much as a sleeping
computer.

Rich