static linked uclibc

Rogelio Serrano rogelio.serrano at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 02:47:33 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > kernel and post kernel start is already there. what remains to be done
> > is the pre kernel and kernel loading part. the x86 is basically a
> > 16bit 16mhz machine at that time. the supidity of that never fails to
> > amaze me.
>
> Actually a 16-bit 3000 MHz (or whatever) machine. :)
> Despite the crappy 16-bit mode, the machine does run at full clock
> speed from startup.

I wonder why its still so slow. Maybe its the shuffling things around
in 1 meg of memory.

> I'm very interested in linuxbios but I get the impression that bios is
> very motherboard-specific these days, not like the old times where
> anything would work.. :(

Well hardware used to be standardised.

> > no. 5 is easy. look at dhcp for example or OLSR or ipv4 zeroconf.
>
> Oh I thought you meant crap like redhat's automatic hardware detection
> or windows pnp...

im not familiar with those. well we can always nuke those things
right? We get them for free and we have the source code...

> > 2 is basically being asked to condense the meaning of concepts and
> > ideas in a short cryptic name. and i mean files humans needs to deal
> > with directly. folders and files belong in the same soup. a full text
> > inverted index would help. i tried doing that and found out that it
> > can work without me knowing what the file name is. of course i did not
> > have a ui when i was playing with it but was better than grep by
> > orders of magnitude. i gave up though when i tried to go beyond text
> > files. that really got me stumped. i never really figured out how to
> > edit them in place either...
>
> Still kinda confused what you mean..

Well imagine an editor window where you have all your files in a
linear scrolling arrangement. I simulate this by putting all my text
files in one file. Maybe emacs can be hacked up so it handles the file
naming and display multiple documents in a unified linear scrolling
view.

> > suspend is a good remedy. but im an environmentalist. so uhhhh....
>
> Well, even a fully-powered idle machine uses much less energy than a
> refridgerator, and a machine in suspend only uses a tiny fraction of
> that (or none at all with suspend-to-disk).

If you consider all the computers in sleep mode in the whole US thats
a lot of power. I think somebody said that you can shut down a few
power plants if people pulled the plugs instead.

suspend to disk is good. Im playing with it until something happens
and hardware is standardised again or hell freezes over. whichever
comes first.

or maybe somebody starts playing around with and fpga...

> > if i solve all of the above then our cto can manage the system himself
> > if needed and he is an old man who hates his windows laptop, but use
> > it anyway because he has no choice, for exactly the same reasons i
> > enumerated above.
>
> Windows boots in less than 1 second? Wow I know common linux distros
> had fallen behind in performance, but not by that much! :)

No. I cant do anything with windows. viiv and amd!live is supposed to
do this right?

He has a core duo laptop. Its fast but takes about 5 minutes to start.
He hates it actually. When he sees a wizard with many fields and
questions he does not understand, he presses cancel really quickly. He
always says, "You think this is high tech? This is bullshit!".

Our windows based software dont have wizards and only 4 configuration
fields . Im modifying a buildroot installer so install does not need
to ask any questions at all. Just boot on the cd then wait a few
minutes for it to finish copying files over then cd pops out then
machine reboots.

I have one box with buildroot. Its a kannel server with gprs and smpp.
It almost does that single copy install already. And it boots up in
almost 1 minute. 30 seconds of that is a sleep for the kannel script
waiting for the modems.

--
things i hate about my linux pc:

1. it takes more than a second to boot up
2. keeps asking about filenames and directories
3. does not remember what i was working on yesterday
4. does not remember all the changes i have ever made
5.cannot figure out necessary settings by itself