buildroot: fakerroot on cygwin

Milrith milrith at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 16:56:18 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am also using buildroot under cygwin. I think fakeroot really can't be
made to work under cygwin. What I did is disable fakeroot in the target
makefile (target/ext2/ext2root.mk), by removing the fakeroot targets:

$(EXT2_BASE): host-fakeroot makedevs genext2fs
becomes:
$(EXT2_BASE): makedevs genext2fs

and not calling fakeroot in the other commands:

instead of things like:
$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/bin/fakeroot \
                -i $(STAGING_DIR)/_fakeroot.$(EXT2_TARGET) \
                -s $(STAGING_DIR)/_fakeroot.$(EXT2_TARGET) -- \
            $(GENEXT2_DIR)/genext2fs \
                -d $(TARGET_DIR) \
                $(EXT2_OPTS) \
                $(EXT2_BASE)
juste keep:
            $(GENEXT2_DIR)/genext2fs \
                -d $(TARGET_DIR) \
                $(EXT2_OPTS) \
                $(EXT2_BASE)

"chown -R root:root $(TARGET_DIR)" won't really work too with cygwin as
there is no root user on cygwin. In my case it was not a problem, but
it is a bit dirty. With these changes I can have a working file system
image.

Maybe some people using buildroot on Windows have some solutions?
Would a patch making the use of fakeroot optional be accepted?

Bye,

Milrith